March 8 is recognized internationally as a day to celebrate women and bring attention to issues of equality and inclusion. These important conversations are happening throughout the world and we are dedicated to doing our part.
In partnership with B-Corp, we’d like to share the stories of several of the women behind the scenes at Baabuk – the talented artisans handcrafting slippers in Nepal – along with the work we’re doing to create a fairer and more inclusive environment. We'll be sharing their thoughts about working with Baabuk on our Instagram page throughout the day (on March 8).
Being a B-Corp Certified Company means we strive to be a #BetterBusiness by influencing positive impact within our communities. We do this in part by providing equal opportunities, fair wages, and appreciating the women with whom we work. Specifically:
- Baabuk employees 16 people at our Nepal workshop
- 80% of the employees are women
- All workers are above the age of 18
- Baabuk pays 45% higher than the average wage in Nepal for similar jobs
- Permanent employees are offered accident insurance, pension funds, home-to-office transportation, and performance bonuses
- The average tenure of Baabuk employees in Nepal is 3 years and 4 months
These are small steps to a brighter future, and we’re proud to stand alongside our fellow B-Corp brands on the journey. Learn more about our work in Nepal in our #BeyondWool Series.